日本丸メモリアルパークへようこそ[Nippon Maru Memorial Park]

国指定重要文化財 旧横浜船渠株式会社第一号船渠(ドック)

国指定重要文化財 旧横浜船渠株式会社第一号船渠(ドック)
帆船日本丸が係留されている、旧横浜船渠株式会社第一号船渠。
右側の橋のように見えるのが扉船。
手前の芝生の地下が横浜みなと博物館。
このドックは、横浜船渠会社が船の修繕用に建設したものです。1859(安政6)年の横浜開港後、貿易の拡大と入出港船舶の増加に伴い、本格的な港湾施設の建設が必要となっていました。港に必要な施設の一つとして船の修繕用ドックの建設が計画されました。イギリス人技師H.S.パーマーの計画に基づき海軍技師恒川柳作が設計・監督、1898(明治31)年12月に竣工しました。建設当初の長さは約168mでしたが、横浜港に入港する船舶の大型化にともない、1918(大正7)年にドックの渠頭部を内陸方向に延長し長さ約204mとなりました。幅は約39m、深さは約11mです。ドック建設には神奈川県真鶴産の小松石(安山岩)を使用しました。
一号船渠は、船が入ったら排水して修繕や検査などを行うドライ・ドックです。ドックの後方にある扉船を開けて船を入れ、扉船を閉めてドック内の海水を抜き、検査や船体の水面下部分の修理、外板・船底の清掃や塗装など船の手入れを行います。一号船渠では、1899(明治32)年5月から1982(昭和57)年12月までの83年間に数千隻の船の修理を行いました。
横浜船渠会社は、1935(昭和10)年に三菱重工株式会社と合併し、三菱重工業横浜船渠(後、同横浜造船所)となりました。1983(昭和58)年同横浜造船所移転に伴い、第一号ドック及びその周囲地は横浜市の所有となり、1985(昭和60)年からは日本丸メモリアルパーク内で帆船日本丸を係留するドックとして保存活用されています。
この旧横浜船渠会社第一号ドックは、建設当時最大規模を有した明治期の代表的ドライ・ドックの一つで、明治・大正期のドック築造技術を知る上で価値の高いものです。また、横浜港の歴史上でも重要な土木構造物です。2000(平成12)年12月4日に国の重要文化財に指定され、2007(平成19)年11月30日には経済産業省の近代化産業遺産に認定されました。
1世紀以上の歴史をもつこのドックは、いつでも見学可能です。干潮時には、壁面の石積みや渠頭部のレンガ積みの様子を一部見ることができます。ドックの周囲には、日本語によるドックや扉船の解説(一部英語表記あり)があります。

(京浜臨海部産業観光認定事業)

Important Cultural Property Designated by the National Government.
Yokohama Dock Company, Ltd. No.1 Dock.

Important Cultural Property Designated by the National Government. Yokohama Dock Company, Ltd. No.1 Dock.
Yokohama Dock Company, Ltd. No. 1 Dock, where the Sail Training ship Nippon Maru is moored.
The bridgelike structure that can be seen at the right is the dock gate.
Directly below the grassy belt in the foreground is the Yokohama Port Museum.
This dry dock was built by the Yokohama Dock Co. for use in ship repairs. Following the opening of the Port of Yokohama to international commerce in 1859, booming international trade and shipping traffic prompted an urgent need for full-fledged port facilities. Plans for a desperately needed dry dock were drawn up. Based on a plan by Henry Spencer Palmer, a British engineer, Ryusaku Tsunekawa, an engineer in the Japanese Navy, designed the dock and supervised its construction. Originally 168m long upon its completion in December 1898, the dock was expanded to a length of 204m in 1918, with an extension of its bow-side end in the inland direction, as larger ships came in and out of the Port of Yokohama. The dock is 39m wide and 11m deep. Andesite from Manazuru, Kanagawa Prefecture, was used in the dock’s construction.
No.1 dock is a dry dock, meaning that it can be drained to allow repair, maintenance and inspection of vessels. A gate in the back of the dock was opened to admit a ship, then shut to drain the dock of seawater. The ship is thus exposed for inspection, hull repairs below the waterline, cleaning of the shell and bottom, and painting. Over the course of its working life, from May 1899 to December 1982, the dry dock was used to repair thousands of ships.
The Yokohama Dock Co. (Yokohama Senkyo Kaisha) merged with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. in 1935, becoming the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Yokohama Dockyard (later Yokohama Shipyard and Engine Works). Following Yokohama Shipyard’s move to a new location in 1983, the ownership of No.1 dock and its surrounding site was transferred to the Yokohama City. And since 1985, the old dock has been preserved and kept in use as a mooring for the Sail Training ship Nippon Maru, within what is now Nippon Maru Memorial Park.
No.1 dock of the the former Yokohama Dock Company was one of the largest construction projects and best-known dry docks of the Meiji Restoration period (18681912), and as such represents an invaluable trove of information about the dock-building technology of the Meiji-and-Taisho period (18681926). Its civil-works structure is also a vital part of the history of the Port of Yokohama. On December 4, 2000 the dock was named a Important Cultural Property Designated by the National Government, and on November 30, 2007 the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry certified No.1 dock a Heritage of Industrial Modernization.
This dock with more than a century of history is open to public view at all times. At low tide, some of the the stonework of the walls and brickwork of the bow-side end can be seen. Descriptions of the dock and its gate are posted around the site in Japanese (and in English partly).